Friday, March 27, 2009

Kitchen / Dining "Central Perk" Renovation


FriendsCentralPerk
Originally uploaded by
brad_holt
I'm about to start my next house renovation project, and it's going to be the grand daddy of my renovations thus far: the kitchen and dining room. I kind of wanted a theme, but I wasn't sure what it would be. Then I decided to spin off my living room--which is kind of a "New York" theme and do a coffee house. And what better coffee house to do than... Central Perk! And, so, my obsession has begun. I have been searching eBay for cool Friends and coffee house item and recruited my grandma for look for things at garage sales. If anyone has any creative ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'll post my progress over at Flickr, starting with today-- which was just gathering ideas. This weekend I am going to start demo. The ugly white tile is going away and going to be replaced by a very nice "Brown Pearl" in a 20" format. It's going to be such a mess.

Photos over at Flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/brad_holt/sets/72157616000984204/

3 comments:

Felicia said...

OMG that is going to be soooo awesome!!!! So, I've been re-watching all of my Felicity DVD's and there is a cool "cabinet" you could make. It's basically three boards with holes drilled at each end. Then a chain is put in the holes and it's screwed up. It's open so everyone can see what's sitting on the boards. Does that make sense? It would be neat to do a mini version with a bunch of different coffee mugs. Like actual pottery mugs would be awesome. In all different shapes, sizes, and colors. OH I'm so excited for you! Not to mention I've always wanted to own my own coffee shop! lol! And for your table, get a big bowl and fill it with coffee beans. Then stick different sized candles in it. FUN!!!! Maybe you could even take a section of wall and paint it with "chalk board" paint and frame it out so it looks like a chalk board. I always see chalk boards in coffee shops. Maybe you could find or make a sign that says "A Java a day will keep the Doctor away". OK, I'll shut up now!

Felicia said...

OK, I know I said I would shut up, but this is me we're talking about! So, I feel like an idiot...if only I would have looked at the Flickr pictures first. But see, I was right about the whole chalk board thing! lol! And I'll tell you, if I were you I probably wouldn't put the logo on my windows. You do have to think about re-sell, ya know? But, maybe you can keep your door but maybe paint it and scuff it up a little and do a window covering that matches that one. And I'm so glad you are going to restain your cabinets! Yay! It'll look better! And since you're going to paint that one wall, I would recommend maybe a red in the same shade that your brick wall will be...And, an idea for above your cabinets, maybe you can find some cool coffee books. I have one but I think it's in storage, so sorry! Also just some cool clear canisters filled with coffee beans? Maybe you should also get a checker board or something to place on that bistro bar. You always see those in coffee shops! ;)

Brad said...

Hey... thanks for the ideas! I like the idea about the cookbooks and canisters of coffee beans. I bet I can find some of both at Walls. I hadn't thought of that. I think I know what you're talking about with the mug display, but maybe I can find a picture somewhere. If I did the Central Perk window, I was going to put frosted plexiglass over the existing one and put the logo on that. Then I could take it down if I decide to sell the house. But, who knows, it may be "too much" anyhow.