Sunday, March 29, 2009

Kitchen / Dining "Central Perk" Renovation, Day 2 & 3

Before I started the long process of chiseling up lots of ceramic tile, I participated in a stress-reducing exercise you should all try. First, I wrote on the tiles the many things that annoy me. Then, I destroyed said tiles with an air-chisel. Revelation (after it took me about 30 minutes to remove one tile): Maybe my tile wasn't as ugly as I thought. But, things did get better and went a little faster, although something is wrong with the tool I'm using.

Day three I decided to move to cabinets and try to figure out what was wrong with the tool on Monday. Mom came up to help (thank goodness) and we got everything sanded. Revelation (after removing 19 cabinet doors): Maybe my cabinets weren't as ugly as I thought.

Photos over at Flickr if you want to take a look... http://www.flickr.com/photos/brad_holt/sets/72157616000984204/

6 comments:

Nora said...

Wow! I looked at your pics and it seems like you're getting quite some stuff done. I would start and never finish ;-) What do you think when you will be finished?

Felicia said...

OK, the writing on the tile thing is just so YOU! But, you really don't like your iPhone? I thought you loved it! Now, whenever Greg has ever removed Tile, he just uses a sledge hammer and just starts beating it...but you're half way done and the slab looks great so I'd just keep doing what you're doing. As far as the cabinets, they will look great re-stained! There were so many times during remodeling that I literally was on the verge of tears. But afterwards it will all be worth it!

Brad said...

Well, I love everything about the phone but using it as a phone. It's not loud enough, I constantly miss calls that never ring, I'll get voice mails 30-45 minutes after they're left. It may be more ATT than the phone; I don't know. I've called them and of course they can't find anything wrong. The tool we use really is a lot better than doing it by hand, when it works right. It usually pops up the whole tile, so you don't have a trillion pieces to pick up. I'm excited about the cabinets. I think they will look so good. Thanks for the encouragement!

Brad said...

Nora: Realistically, since I can only work on it a few hours a day (except for the weekends), I'd say it will take me the rest of the week to get the floors up. I have to go over it again with a different tool after I get the tile up to get the concrete smooth. Hopefully I can get the cabinets stained and the walls painted the next week. The tile will be laid the third week and then I'll trim it out and start moving stuff back it. So probably three to four weeks. A long time to be without a kitchen!

Nora said...

I meant to ask you this before: Do you guys have the show "Coupling" over there? It's kind of a British version of Friends and it is hilarious.

Brad said...

They tried a US version right after Friends ended, but it only lasted a month or so. I don't think I watched it.