Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Newest Favorite Thing


So, every once in a while I discover something new and it becomes my newest favorite thing. A couple of weeks ago, it was Internet on TV. Which, yes, has been around a while, but since I have a computer connected to my Plasma TV in the living room it opens up all new possibilities. And the quality has improved so much lately, it's kind of crazy. I missed an episode of Fringe due to bad weather knocking out the satellite signal, so I just pulled it up on Hulu and watched it in near HD-quality. Very cool.


Anyway, on to my newest favorite thing. I was using Google Maps today at work as I do often to map out customers addresses. I noticed, for the first time, "Street View" showing up on the results. And, I thought, no way has that made it to Ada. In case you're not familiar, Street View is something Google is working on where you can see images of houses, etc. just like your driving down the street. Not aerial imagery, actually the front of houses, businesses, etc. I had played with this a little a while back, but it was only available like in New York, etc. I figured it would be years and years before they got the smaller towns like Ada. But, sure enough, all of Ada is on there (that's a screenshot of my house above from the application). And Asher, mind you. It really will be a handy thing when you're trying to find a place you've never been before. Not only will you see the map, but you will actually be able to see the buildings in the area so you'll be a little familiar with the area when you actually go. And, imagine shopping for houses from another state. You can check out the whole neighborhood from your computer! And, as an added cool-factor, it all works from my iPhone too.
Checking into it further, there are a few people raising a fuss over privacy issues (houses, kids, etc. being online for all to see). It doesn't bother me any-- it was all taken from public streets--but what's your take on the issue?

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Most people can find addresses and pictures anyway at the County Assessor's office. I think it's neat! And your house looks great....as usual!