Sunday, April 26, 2009

Kitchen / Dining "Central Perk" Renovation, Day... who knows? Who cares?

Ahh, the day I have been waiting for. The day I can claim "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!" Well, it's probably a little too early for that but, hey, if it's good enough for the President, it's good enough for me. But other that one stubborn, wacked-out angled wall of crown molding that caused me to cuss more in an hour than I had in my whole life, it really is done. I still have a few little accents to put up as I find them. Things didn't turn out quite as "Central Perk-ish" I had first imagined, but I'm happy with the result. I got less inclined to make things "eclectic" as I went along. So, the brick wall went out as did the green trim. The menu chalk board got down sized and removed as a focus piece. I'm still going to make my red SERVICE arrow though and hang it above the cabinets. And, I'm going to get a coffee maker. Because I think I would be too embarrassed to admit to someone that I couldn't serve them a cup of coffee in a coffee house themed kitchen. Heck, I might even try a cup myself. You never know about me. I'm a loose cannon.

Yes, there are photos. They can be found here.

4 comments:

Nora said...

Go for the coffee, have a try. Maybe a latte or a cappucino to start with. Or you might like those syrup things that they serve at Starbucks. When it is hot outside, I love their frappucinos. I'll go and push the button now! ;-)
AND: The results look great! I love the sugar thing and the cups that is a great idea. Good job!

Felicia said...

it looks sooo good! But no brick wall??? Well, maybe you can do patches of brick. Do you know what I'm talking about? I bet you can find brick wallpaper and just tear some big hunks and use those! Just an idea....wow I can't get over how much better it looks! Now you get to decorate above the cabinets! And are you going to stain the little table thing that the mugs are on, too? I know...you're hating me and my suggestions right now aren't you?

Brad said...

Thanks for the comments!

I know. It was kind of disappointing that I couldn't do the brick wall. But I couldn't find any wallpaper in Ada and the one I had picked on homedepot.com was on backorder and I was just ready to be done. I also got a little worried it might come off as rustic and I wasn't going for that look. That and it might clash with the tumbled stone on the backsplash. I might do something else with it someday, like the glaze wall you mentioned.

I do plan on restaining the little cabinet the same color, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I didn't even really think about it until I got it back in there and then the color bugged me more than it did before.

I wasn't sure about above the cabinets. My first thought was to put stuff back up there, but then I thought it looks kind of clean and simple without. Maybe fewer things so it's not so cluttered. We'll see how it goes. Do you think it looked good the way it was?

LaKeta said...

Brad!!! You did an amazing job on your kitchen redo...totally made me miss Thursday night tv ;)