Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kitchen / Dining "Central Perk" Renovation, Days 15-21

I've had a "week and counting" sickness which has decidedly slowed progress, but I'm happy to announce the tile is now finished! I love the backsplash. I think it really added a lot and made the kitchen look a lot more expensive, even though the tumbled stone is really quite affordable. I sprayed a few pieces with nickel metallic paint (the same paint I used to transform my bronze cabinet pulls), so I think that helps pull it together with the knobs and faucet. I saved myself some money too since those the metallic decos are $5 each (our cost) to buy them ready-made. I hope to get a new stove someday, one that won't cover up the backsplash (plus it's a horrible stove anyway). I still have mixed feelings about the floor (which is not fun feelings to have). I wish I had went a little lighter. The brown color is coming off a little orange-y with the dark cabinets and brown walls. I'm coming around to it, though. I think when I get the while trim up it will help break it up a little. All-in-all, I think it's coming along very nicely. Maybe I'll get finished up this weekend, if I can just get well.

Follow the progress over at Flickr.

3 comments:

Nora said...

Wow, it looks awesome! You're so talented!

Felicia said...

omg Brad! It looks soooo fantastical! Isn't it amazing what a nice backsplash will do? Great idea about spray painting the tiles! And when you do upgrade those appliances, if you go stainless it will really tie in! And I don't think your flooring looks bad at all! Hopefully you don't either since you have a rug down. Can't wait to see the next batch of pics. (Maybe you should go into home remodeling as a side job!) OH, and where did you learn to tile?

Brad said...

Thanks for the comments guys (or, uh, girls)!

I know; a good backsplash makes an amazing difference. I made my peace with the tile. The color just wasn’t exactly what I had in mine, although I love the look. I had the rug down before; I just liked it because it kind of looked coffee house-ish. I didn’t do the tile; I had an installer from work do it. I probably could have, but since I never had tried I didn’t want to experiment on my house! It’s probably a good thing too. The installer said my floor was really unlevel and he had to do a lot of extra work to make it look good. I’m almost done with everything now (and I’m very glad about that). I’m posting some new pics now. I hope you like!